- SyncToy 2.1 is a free application that synchronizes files and folders between locations. Typical uses include sharing files, such as photos, with other computers and creating backup copies of files and folders.
- 7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio
- Windows Sysinternals – Advanced system utilities
- Windows Live Writer – i use this tool to post my wordpress articles
- JEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it
- Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
- GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor—and more. At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp programming language with extensions to support text editing. The features of GNU Emacs include:
- Content-sensitive editing modes, including syntax coloring, for a variety of file types including plain text, source code, and HTML.
- Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
- Full Unicode support for nearly all human languages and their scripts.
- Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
- A large number of extensions that add other functionality, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more. Many of these extensions are distributed with GNU Emacs; others are available separately.
- Org-Mode an Emacs Mode for Notes, Project Planning, and Authoring
- WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.
- Paint.Net is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
- VLC media player The cross-platform open-source multimedia framework, player and server. VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, DivX, MPEG-1, mp3, ogg, aac …) as well as DVDs, Audio CDs VCDs, and various streaming protocols. See the full features list.
It can also be used as a media converter or a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on networks.
- Handbrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
- Password Safe allows you to safely and easily create a secured and encrypted user name/password list. With Password Safe all you have to do is create and remember a single “Master Password” of your choice in order to unlock and access your entire user name/password list.
- Truecrypt – Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux
- GnuPG is the GNU project‘s complete and free implementation of the OpenPGP standard as defined by RFC4880 . GnuPG allows to encrypt and sign your data and communication, features a versatile key managment system as well as access modules for all kind of public key directories. GnuPG, also known as GPG, is a command line tool with features for easy integration with other applications. A wealth of frontend applications and libraries are available. Version 2 of GnuPG also provides support for S/MIME.
- Prish Image Resizer Add custom “resize” to your context menu.
- Putty – my telnet and ssh client of choice
- mRemote is a full-featured, multi-tab remote connections manager.
It allows you to store all your remote connections in a simple yet powerful interface.
Currently these protocols are supported:RDP (Remote Desktop)
VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
ICA (Independent Computing Architecture)
SSH (Secure Shell)
Telnet (TELecommunication NETwork)
HTTP/S (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
- Total Commander Shareware Filemanger – similar to the good old Norton Commander
- FarManager Text based Norton Commander Clone
- Mozilla Firefox – Free and open source web browser
- Mozilla Thunderbird – Free and open source e-mail and news client
- Freemind is a premier free mind-mapping software written in Java
- Antiwin – find and delete duplicate files on your harddrive
- Solarwinds TFTP Server
- CDBurnerXP – Freeware
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express is a free, integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server. SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express combines a broad group of graphical tools with a number of rich script editors to provide access to SQL Server to developers and administrators of all skill levels.